top of page
  • Writer's pictureNational Truck Loans

Answering Truckers Most Asked Questions with TruckingHQ

Answering Truckers Most Asked Questions with TruckingHQ
We were able to sit down with the Sales Director at TruckingHQ, Nick Sirois, to ask him the industry’s most asked questions.

TruckingHQ is dedicated to assisting trucking companies with regulatory compliance. Their mission is to assist truckers in remaining compliant, safe, and profitable.

They join forces with trucking businesses to devise a tailored approach that allows them to anticipate changes and develop proactive strategies for their business. TruckingHQ is aware that each business is unique and requires a customized compliance plan, which is why they built their company on personalized service and long-term relationships.

1. What’s a BOC-3? Do I need it?

Before you're able to legally operate as a transportation company within the United States, you must file a BOC-3 with the FMCSA. If you're a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder doing business across multiple states, you'll need a designated process agent within every state.

This document will include the names and addresses of all your process agents in each state where you're permitted to do business. These individuals are tasked with accepting legal documentation on your behalf.

You can file this document through the FMCSA website, and once it’s approved it will arrive by mail in 3-4 business days.

2. How do I apply for a DOT number? How long does it take to get my DOT number?

You can apply for your DOT number on the FMCSA website but there’s also a mail-in option. There’s no fee to register for your DOT.

If you register online then your request will be processed immediately. Therefore, you’ll get your DOT number instantly unless your request is denied for some reason.

If you decide to apply by mail, then it could take up to 6 weeks to process.

3. What’s the “vetting period” for an MC number?

You can apply for your MC number along with your DOT number. The FMCSA, on the other hand, requires a 21-day vetting period before your MC number becomes active.

It's vital to remember that you cannot haul loads while your MC number is inactive. This can get your trucking company into a great deal of trouble.

4. How do I prepare for a new entrant safety audit?

In the first year, a new trucking company must undergo a major safety audit. The FMCSA requires this to ensure that new fleets adhere to established safety standards.

The audit examines all aspects of a trucking company. For instance, how effectively they incorporate and promote safety in their culture.

The auditors will be focusing on the following major violations:

· Inspections and repairs

· Insurance

· Driving logs

· Driver qualifications

· Drugs and alcohol

5. How do I get loads with my own authority?

If you wish to make it in the transportation sector, you must discover the best ways to keep your trucks moving and generating profit. That means you must find available freight. This step is critical to the success of an owner-operator or small fleet.

Fortunately, there are several options available to find freight:

· Use a load board

· Pay for a dispatching service

· Build relationships with shippers

· Find a freight broker

· Talk with a DOT Compliance company

For more information regarding DOT Compliance, visit

bottom of page